Jeffrey Roode was called to the bar of Ontario in 1995. He practiced corporate/commercial and competition law at a major Toronto law firm, becoming partner in 2001. Jeff then spent ten years at one of Canada’s largest banks where he was lead counsel to the bank’s credit card issuing business (the largest in Canada at the time). Jeff also led a team of lawyers responsible for other areas such as privacy, trademarks, technology law, procurement and marketing and advertising. In 2005, Jeff was named one of Canada’s top 40 under 40 in-house counsel by Lexpert magazine.
In 2011, Jeff left the bank to establish a payment card-focussed law practice, initially at a major Toronto firm and then subsequently at his own firm. Jeff continues to focus on the payment card industry and has acted both for and opposite issuers, payment card networks, technology providers, acquirers and ISOs on a variety of matters.
Jeff received his law degree from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario in 1993. In addition, he has a Bachelor of Commerce degree and Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics, also from Queen’s University.
Recent Speaking Engagements
Jeff continues to speak regularly about the payment card industry. Recent speaking engagements include the following:
- Panelist, “Payments Compliance in Canada”, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February 2016
- Speaker, “Mobile Payments & Payments Standards: Structuring the Deal”, The 2015 Information Technology Law Spring Forum, May 2015
- Panelist, “Mobile Payments: What you Need to Know Now”, The Canadian Institute’s 10th Payments Forum, February 2015
- Panelist, “Juggling the Evolving Regulatory Landscape in Payments”, Canadian Payments Association, Payments Panorama 2014, June 2014
- Speaker, “Regulatory Framework for Mobile Payments” and “Trends in Mobile Payments”, Canadian IT Law Association, The 2014 Information Technology Law Spring Forum, June 2014
- Speaker, “Current Issues and Trends in Mobile Payments”, Canadian IT Law Association, Seventeenth Annual Canadian IT Law Association Conference, October, 2013.
- Panelist, “Compliance and Legislation Landscape”, Payments Exchange 6th Annual Prepaid and Payments Retreat Canada, June, 2013
- Co-Chair, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February 2013
- Speaker, “Legal and Regulatory Issues in Emerging Payment Technologies, Including Mobile Payments”, The Canadian Institute’s Regulatory Compliance for Financial Institutions Conference, November 2012
- Speaker and Panel Moderator, “Developing Business Strategies to Provide the Best Opportunities for All Players in the Mobile Payments Value Chain”, The Canadian Institute’s Canadian Payments Innovation Conference, April 2012
- Speaker, “Advertising and Marketing Financial Products”, The Canadian Institute’s Advertising and Marketing Law Conference, January, 2012
- Speaker and Panel Moderator, “How to Successfully Integrate the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada into Your Compliance Strategies”, The Canadian Institute’s Payments Compliance in Canada Conference, February, 2012
- Speaker, “Identifying Emerging Trends and Clearing Compliance Hurdles in the Payment Card Industry”, The Canadian Institute’s Regulatory Compliance for Financial Institutions Conference, November 2011